Sports betting is practiced all over the world. People bet their money on games and pay or earn a certain amount if their prediction comes true. The Greeks, who were responsible for starting the first major sporting event, the Olympics, were also responsible for introducing betting in the same game. Some people bet on several sports instead of just one to make more money.
A little bit of the history of bookmaking
It used to be that betting on a sport as expensive as horse racing was limited to the elite class. With the rise in popularity of the Internet, betting is available to anyone who owns a cell phone. Every day millions of dollars are placed on the line in many sports around the world. Some popular games are favorites among bettors, and there are also some odd sports. By the way, you can read more about this on mega-news.in.
You can find hundreds of betting shops that allow people from all over the world to bet on sports online and make their own prediction. You are betting real money there, so it would be a smart decision if you did some research and found the best sports betting site available.
Top 5 sports at bookmakers in India
Although Indians don’t make sports media headlines very often, this nation is quite active. Bookmakers talk about the following popular destinations:
- Horse racing. This is the most popular sport, betting exclusively on betting. Not only is it one of the oldest sports, but it is also one of the most expensive. Players bet millions on the game, and every race is a high-level event. The stallions and jockeys involved in the races get a huge amount of money for it.
- Soccer. In terms of the number of spectators, soccer is the most popular sport. The FIFA World Cup, which is held every four years, is one of the most popular sporting events worldwide. Thus, for the players, soccer is the sport that will bring in the most revenue. Especially in Europe, soccer is a major source of betting.
- Boxing. Famous boxers such as Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, and Floyd Mayweather make boxing popular. Over the past decade, boxing has regained its status as one of the most expensive sports in history and has also found fans in India. Similarly, the betting market has also profited enormously from boxing. The same was seen in the famous Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao fight, known as the fight of the century, where the guest list was full of elite personalities.
- Cricket. Popular in countries like England, Australia, and India, cricket is played and viewed on a massive scale. Every cricket match has a huge amount of money at stake. People contact their bookies and predict every move of the game. You can bet on every strike, ball, catch, etc. Examples of match-fixing can be seen in all countries playing cricket, where players received a significant amount of money for a particular game.
- Tennis. One can imagine why tennis made it to this list. Thanks to world-famous events like Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, the Australian Open, etc., tennis has become a favorite sport among players. You can bet on every set of a tennis match from the comfort of your smartphone.
By the way, winter sports are also gaining momentum. More and more Indian bettors choose hockey.
What determines the choice of bettors
These sports are not just chosen for money betting at betting clubs in India. Experienced bettors pay attention to the following:
- More betting opportunities. These sports are popular and widely watched or played all over the world – this popularity gives bettors more opportunities to bet on them. Games like soccer are played throughout the year, and the presence of numerous teams and soccer clubs makes betting more accessible and convenient for punters. If, for example, you lose money in a soccer game, you can recoup that loss in another game that may take place within a week or month. The more significant the sporting event, the bigger the betting odds.
- Broadcasts all over the world. Sports such as basketball are televised even in countries where the game is not available. These popular sports are readily available online and on television in almost every corner of the world. Even a layman can understand the complex rules of any sport he has never seen.
- A large number of markets. One of the reasons these sports are popular with punters is that they offer many betting options. With more betting options available, people can choose from several options. Players can choose according to their requirements and comfort. If one way of betting doesn’t work, you can choose another. With the advent of the Internet, you can bet in real-time using your cell phone. Technology has made betting on sports easier, as you used to need to be present at a sporting event to bet money on it.
We should not forget the odds. You can find record numbers in these sports.
What else can you bet on in India?
Alternative top gamblers include several unusual solutions:
- Video games. The Internet has changed the way people bet, and it has also changed the sports that can be gambled on. With the growing popularity of video games like PUBG and Call of Duty, betting on e-sports has become the norm.
- Arm wrestling. This trend in India has gained popularity in recent years and has attracted many betting players.
- Fictional Games. Harry Potter fans in India will recognize this fictional sport of Quidditch. Quidditch is an event in the United States, and people bet real money on it.
The assortment of new sports in betting is regularly expanding.
Tips for those who want to start betting on sports in India
There are dozens of ways to bet on sports, but there are a few universal approaches. For a beginner, these will help you not drain your starting deposit in the first minutes of the game:
- Against the spread. The most common form of sports betting. The spread is designed to level the playing field in a game between two teams that may not be evenly matched. If Chicago is listed as a -7 favorite against Arizona, that means Chicago must win by eight points or more for anyone betting on it to successfully cash their bet. If Chicago wins by exactly seven, the bet results in a push and you get your money back. If Arizona loses by six points or less, any bet on Chicago will result in a loss, and bets on Arizona will result in a win.
- Parlay. Parlay is when you tie multiple picks to increase the odds and improve the overall payout. For each pick you add to your account, the odds will be adjusted, and if you successfully predict the results, you can win big. A ratio of Detroit +6, Indiana -4, and Denver -5.5 means that Detroit would have to lose by less than six, while Indiana would have to win by five or more and Denver would have to win by six or more. Assuming a standard payout of -110, a three-way option of this nature would pay out almost 6-1.
- Teaser. This method gives lower odds than parlay but remains popular because handicappers still find them profitable. If you don’t like a particular spread or the spreads offered, the teaser allows you to buy a certain number of points in either direction to increase the likelihood that you will make your bet. Let’s say you believe two seven-point favorites will win their games outright, but you’re not sure if they can cover the touchdown spread. Using a six-point teaser would reduce each team to -1 favorites, which means they only need to win by two points. This reduces the payout, but is properly deployed and can be a profitable strategy.
- Futures. Soccer is one of the most popular sports to bet on, even in the offseason. You can bet on soccer before the season even begins with a futures bet, which can be on anything.
- Live to bet. Betting clubs in India adjust the odds on the game results in real-time, so you can bet throughout the sporting event.
In conclusion, sports betting can be a talking point for conservatives. However, betting is not only popular among the general public, but it is legal in many countries. In countries like India, betting is illegal, but online betting is not. Therefore, such events attract many betting players to ethical online gambling.